Calendar of Events
Huguenot Month Talk, "Portrait of a Woman in Silk: Spitalfields Designer Anna Maria Garthwaite," for The City of London's Women: Work and Power Festival, London. October 11, 2018.
Rethinking America: A Roundtable in Honor of John M. Murrin, SHEAR Annual Conference, Cleveland. July 21, 2018.
"Uncovering Hidden Histories through the Portrait of a Woman in Silk," Summer Lecture Series: Reading Objects, Finding Histories, Historic Deerfield, Massachusetts, July 19, 2018.
“Material Culture and the Atlantic World” Lecture, “First in Business” Teachers’ Workshop, Mount Vernon, Virginia, July 18, 2018.
“Revolutionary Devils: Object, Image, Ideology, and Emotion in the American Revolution” and Comment for "Cultures matérielles et visuelles" Panel, "Les origines océaniques des révolutions atlantiques (vers 1760-vers 1850)/Oceanic Roots of Atlantic Revolutions (c. 1760-c. 1850)" Conference, Université d'été, Paris, France, June 4 through 8, 2018.
Royal Oak Foundation Lecture Series,"Portrait of a Woman in Silk: Hidden Histories of the British Atlantic World," The General Society Library, New York City, May 17, 2018.
Royal Oak Foundation Lecture Series,"Portrait of a Woman in Silk: Hidden Histories of the British Atlantic World," The Union League of Philadelphia, May 9, 2018.
“New Approaches to the American Revolution: A Roundtable,” Organization of American Historians (OAH) Annual Meeting, Sacramento, California, April 2018.
Fourteenth Annual Yale American Art Graduate Symposium, Yale University. Keynote Address. April 7, 2018.
Fossieck Lecture, "Portrait of a Woman in Silk," SUNY-Albany, New York, April 5, 2018.
Folger Institute, Before Farm to Table: Early Modern Foodways and Cultures project, Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington. "Flowers, Fashion, and the 18th-Century Dining Room." February 9, 2018.
Cambridge Things Seminar. Blythe House, Victoria and Albert Museum, London. January 24, 2018.
Visual and Material Culture Postgraduate Exchange. Queen Mary University of London; co-sponsored by the University of Delaware. Keynote Lecture, "Domesticating Revolution: Patriotic Women, Military Men and the Material Culture of Bringing Battle Home." London. January 17-19, 2018.
American Historical Association Annual Conference. Panelist on "Teaching with Material Culture and Historic Sites." Washington, D.C. January 4-7, 2018.
- University of Delaware, Center for Material Culture Studies. Workshop: Publishing for Graduate Students in Material Culture. November 30, 2017.
- American Philosophical Society, The Art of Revolutions. Comment on 'Remembering Revolution in Material Culture.' October 26-28, 2017.
- Université Paris Diderot (France). Moving Beyond Paris and London: Influences, Circulation, and Rivalries in Fashion and Textiles between France and England, 1700-1914. Keynote Address. Paris, October 13-14, 2017
- University of Konstanz (Germany). Workshop: Material Culture Pedagogies. October 20, 2017.
- Society for Historians of the Early American Republic 2017 Annual Conference. Panel: The Art of History in an Age of Revolutions, "Material Methods and Rebelling Colonists." July 20-23, 2017.
- University of North Carolina Art History Colloquium. Talk on Portrait of a Woman in Silk: Hidden Histories of the British Atlantic World. April 13, 2017. (Co-sponsored by the UNC Department of American Studies.)
- Organization of American Historians Annual Meeting. Panel: The Politics and Profit of Printed Images in the Early United States, "Revolutionary Devils: Ideology, Image, and Emotion in the American Revolution." April 8, 2017.
- Mid-Atlantic Conference on British Studies, 2017 Annual Meeting. Plenary Roundtable: "British History After Brexit". Apr 1-2, 2017.
- Massachusetts Historical Society, "Politics of Taste". Program: "Portrait of a Woman in Silk". March 23, 2017.
- 2017 Annual Martha Washington Lecture, Fred W. Smith National Library, George Washington's Mount Vernon. Flora Fraser and Zara Anishanslin discuss "Eighteenth-Century Women as Consumers on Both Sides of the Atlantic." March 14, 2017. (Made possible through a generous grant from the Richard S. Reynolds Foundation of Richmond, Virginia.)
- Dennis Severs' House, London (UK). Reading from Portrait of a Woman in Silk: Hidden Histories of the Atlantic World. January 25, 2017.
- Institute of Historical Research (UK). Seminar on Portrait of a Woman in Silk: Hidden Histories of the Atlantic World. January 19, 2017.
- Queen Mary Visual Cultures Forum, Queen Mary University of London (UK). Discussion of Portrait of a Woman in Silk: Hidden Histories of the Atlantic World. January 18, 2017.
- University of Delaware History Workshop. "Devils, Cannibals, and the Ghost of General Wolfe: The Macabre and Violent in the American Revolution." November 29, 2016.
- Princeton Colonial Americas Workshop. "Devils, Cannibals, and the Ghost of General Wolfe: The Macabre and Violent in the American Revolution." November 16, 2016.
- Historic Deerfield: A Passion for Luxury: Tastemakers and Trendsetters in Early New England: 1715-1815. Lecture: "'Tolerably Well by the Force of Genius': Robert Feke, Painter." November 11-13, 2016.
- Gunston Hall: Inside Out: Exploring Interior and Exterior Landscapes. "Designing the Botanical Landscape of Empire: Anna Maria Garthwaite's (1688-1763) Flowered Silks from London to America." November 3, 2016.